Even if you don’t have time for a full hour yoga practice a day, incorporating a 20 minute practice of Sun Salutations in the morning is a great way to get the body moving and the mind connected before beginning your day. Consistency is key! Practicing 20 minutes a day is more beneficial than practicing for an hour two or three times a week.
A sun salutation is a sequence of continuous poses initiated by the breath intended to improve the strength and flexibility of the muscles. Here are 10 reasons to motivate you to commit to Sun Salutations every day.
- Provides an excellent warm-up for the body
- Tones the digestive system by alternating stretching and compressing the abdominal organs, massaging liver, stomach, spleen, intestines and kidneys
- Improves muscle flexibility
- Improves elimination and helps relieve constipation
- Stretches and massages the spinal column, toning and regulating the functions of the nervous system
- Stimulates and normalizes activity of the endocrine glands, the thyroid in particular
- Ventilates the lungs, oxygenates the blood, and removes carbon dioxide and toxic gases from the respiratory system
- Increases cardiac activity and blood circulation
- Improves function of the uterus and ovaries, correcting menstrual irregularity and cramps
- Refreshes, irrigates, and removes toxins from the skin