We have talked a lot about the benefits of the yoga and why people enjoy doing it but yoga is a culture that one must immerse themselves in order to become a true yogi. At Wilmington, we like to keep things light while we are working toward our spiritual goals so we would like to share some interesting facts about yoga.
- In 2008, 16 million Americans practiced yoga and spent over $5.7 billion on yoga gear.
- The swastika is actually a yoga symbol that means “that which is associated with well-being”.
- In 2006, there were 4,450 reported injuries due to practicing yoga.
- Because yoga has become more popular due to the reports of it helping prevent illness and help with weight loss, scholars believe that it is starting to lose its true meaning, which is spiritual liberation.
- The lotus pose is a representation of perfect symmetry and beauty.
- A man practicing yoga is called a yogi while a woman is called a yogini
- Studies have shown that practicing yoga can reduce the risk of heart disease because it improves arterial flow. It also shows that it helps with diabetes, asthma, and high blood pressure.
- There are more than 100 different schools of yoga in the world. Even though they have different practices, they have the same ultimate goal which is being one with the universe.
- The record for the oldest yoga teacher belongs to an 85-year-old Australia woman but it is being challenged by a 90-year-old woman from the UK.
We hope that you have enjoyed these interesting facts about yoga. We enjoy every aspect of the practice and we hope to see you in our studio soon. Contact us for a schedule today.