About Wilmington Yoga
Established in 2000, Wilmington Yoga has offered classes, workshops, teacher trainings and retreats for its community of students. It honors and teaches a wide array of styles based upon students’ individual needs whether it’s weight loss, reducing back pain, decreasing anxiety, or simply being a part of a fun growing community. Classes are for students of all ages and all levels.
Yoga Relieves Stress
As you leave the studio after taking (yoga) class, you take in a deep breath and let out a long, slow and satisfied exhale. All is well in the world even if you’ve had a bad day or you’re favorite t-shirt got destroyed in the wash. You feel like you’re floating and your mind-body-soul feels as relaxed as if you were on vacation in the Caribbean. There’s no doubt that yoga works in magical, mysterious ways. But with more and more research being studied, it turns out that yoga is actually proven by science to relieve stress! Seems like a win-win to us 🙂 Come join us for a class soon – we’d love to have you!
The Top 10 Ways Yoga Relieves Stress
- “How we move, think and feel have an impact on the stress response through real neural connections.” Peter Strick, Professor and Chair of Neurobiology at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Core Strength “There’s all this evidence that core strengthening has an impact on stress. And when you see somebody that’s depressed or stressed out, you notice changes in their posture. When you stand up straight, it has an effect on how you project yourself and how you feel. Well, lo and behold, core muscles have an impact on stress. And I suspect that if you activate core muscles inappropriately with poor posture, that’s going to have an impact on stress.” Read the article here.
- Reduces cortisol levels
- Activates the parasympathetic nervous system
- Boosts feel-good brain chemicals like GABA, serotonin, and dopamine.
- Suppresses the stress response
- Boosts immune system
- Reduces inflammation
- Rewires nerve connections that will help you think more clearly (Read more here)
- Hormonal improvement (Dr. Sara Gottfried explains)