With all the activities one engages in on a daily basis, back pain can easily develop. Some daily postures cause unwanted stretching of one’s back muscles and can result in unbearable pain. If this pain is not addressed in its in its early stages, it can result in a more severe condition. Rest assured- there are yoga poses that can strengthen one’s back. Likewise, yoga- in general- will help relieve back pain. According to PubMed, yoga provides the body with the exercise it needs to strengthen the upper back and alleviate any pain in the same region. (1)
Yoga Poses to Practice for a Strong Upper Back
1. Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) or Salute to the Sun. The style encompasses twelve continuous poses that begin one’s yoga practice.
2. Ardha Matsyendrasana (half spinal twist) is another yoga pose that will guarantee a strong and healthy upper back.
3. Easy Pose is perhaps the most common yoga pose that will help in strengthening the upper back.
4. Shoulder stretches are also a fundamental pose for a strong upper back and shoulders.
For all of the above-mentioned yoga poses, use the assistance of an instructor or yoga straps for safety. With continuous practice, you will have a strong upper back within no time.
(1) www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice and PubMed